Nizhny Novgorod State Medical University is a major center for training
medical practitioners in one of the largest regions of the European part of
The medical faculty was opened in 1920 as a faculty of Nizhny Novgorod
University. In May, 1930 it became an independent Medical Institute and in
June 1994 it got a status of the State Medical Academy.
In 1992 the Faculty of Overseas Admissions was opened in NNSMA. Since
1998-99 academic year the Academy has started training of international
students in the English Medium.
The new name for Nizhny Novgorod State Medical University is Research
Medical University of Volga region